5 Tips to Go Green in Your Luxury Apartment
You don’t have to sacrifice the environment for luxury living and making the switch to go green is easier than you think. Owning a luxury apartment comes with many benefits, you get beautiful designs, gorgeous amenities and prime locations…and turning your pad into an ecofriendly place is simple! Check out these five tips that will save you money and help the environment!
- Switch all the lighting in your luxury apartment to CFL (compact fluorescent light) bulbs and throw away the impractical incandescent bulbs. CFL technology uses significantly less wattage by producing light instead of needing to convert the light into heat which is what incandescent bulbs do. You can swap out the bulbs in a matter of minutes and you could potentially start saving money on your electricity bill. Take for example a traditional, incandescent 60 watt light bulb – replacing that bulb with an equivalently bright CFL bulb cuts the wattage to 14! CFL bulbs also have a longer life compared to traditional light bulbs, so with that in effect, you also reduce the need to purchase them again.
- Turning off the thermostat and opening the windows cuts down the amount of energy your HVAC system must use. This simple task helps the environment and can help reduce the costs of heating and cooling. For example, during the fall, Luxury apartments in NJ can take advantage of this simple switch because of the drop in temperature. Not only do the cooler temps bring more comfort, but they typically last for months. You have the potential of having fresh air enter your apartment for months!
- Swap out some appliances with “Energy Star” certified appliances. Depending on what you already have around your apartment, switching can be easy and inexpensive. Take for example a microwave that is 5 years old, it may be “Energy Star” certified, but in today’s market, newer appliances with even better ratings are available!
- Wash your laundry with cold water instead of hot. Did you know about 80% of the energy used with hot water could be conserved if you make the switch? When doing so, you can also find laundry detergents that are specifically designed for cold water applications, meaning they will perform a wash just as well as hot water.
- Unplug unused electronics like DVD players, computers and all other neighboring electronic accessories. These devices will continue to suck up energy even if they are not being used, so while you are away or just not using them, unplug.
These simple tips are just a few ways to convert your place into an ecofriendly apartment. The next time you see your utility bill, let it serve as a reminder to conserve energy and make the switch!